Monday, October 20, 2008

Day 8 of my Practicum





Today I started out at the Northside Learning Center, which is on the lower level of the Sumner Library. The NLC is run by the Minnesota Literacy Council and they have a dedicated space with computers and a photocopier, along with storage for many books. They use library meeting room space for the classes, and most of the classes are taught by trained volunteers. The Literacy Council staff members create curriculum that is used in each of the three levels of classes.


I had the opportunity to sit in on one of the advanced English classes (level C) - we spent the first half of the class reading a play out loud that was based on a Sherlock Holmes story and discussing what happened. Along the way, we would talk about definitions and pronunciation of tricky words or phrases. The second half of the class was more focused on grammar and vocabulary - today's lesson was focused on the uses of the terms "never, seldom, rarely, often, usually, and always."


I spent the second half of the day at Central Library and met with a staff member from the collection development department to talk about the challenges of ordering foreign language and ELL materials.


I finished my afternoon meeting with my supervisor about the "Recent Immigrants" section of the web site that I have been working on. I am making recommendations for merging the MPLS and HCLIB "Recent Immigrants" sections into one introductory page. I got some good feedback and look forward to making some adjustments and additions. I am hoping to be able to take a second draft to a conversation circle later this week and see if we can get some feedback from recent immigrants during the session.


I am done with 60 of my 100 hours - only 40 to go before Saturday!

No comments: